Wednesday, November 28, 2007

You Have An Attitude Problem!

Has anyone ever told you that you have an attitude problem right to your face? What about behind your back?

According to a report done by 60 Minutes, "The "Millennials,” the generation born between 1980 and 1995, are today “taking over” corporate America with an attitude." Employers are talking and what they are saying about us isn't good. While we apparently run back to mommy and daddy's house we also have no problem demanding an answers that please us says this report. Some even feel that "You do have to speak to [the Millennials] a little bit like a therapist on television might speak to a patient…You can’t be harsh. You cannot tell them you’re disappointed in them. You can’t really ask them to live and breathe the company. Because they’re living and breathing themselves and that keeps them very busy.”

How many of us "Millennials" out there really feel this is true? I would classify myself as a go-getter, a multitasker and someone who is very respectful of the older generation whom I put effort into learning from. And, to boot, I would say that on most days I certainly do live and breathe the company I work at.

It's nice to know that all they can talk about it my bad attitude.

Read more of "their" opinions at: http://templewest.wordpress.com/2007/11/12/60-minutes-discovers-young-professionals/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just as you were blown away by the so called adults in one of your other postings acting like high school students at work - proving any "professional" can be a selfish child, do not assume that everyone in your generation is a hard working go getter. Some younger people do come across like spoiled little brats that have not weaned themselves off of mommy and daddy's apron strings yet; it is within their upbringing in my opinion not a generational thing. Remember 60 minutes has ratings to satisfy so not all of their stories have to be investigated to the nth degree or fairly reported from both sides. At my work I can be very blunt with some of the younger staff and they will look at me and say, okay I will fix it or get it right, can you help me with suggestions for improving this? And then others are so defensive that they act like those teenage adults. And my final words of advice from the Baby Boomer generation is to learn how to leave work at work, screw that living and breathing the company I work for thing. Life is too short, live - just keep it all in perspective and bring passion to your job. I said once that it was not your employers responsibility to provide passion at your job (in my opinion), but rather your responsibility to bring passion to your job. Keep The Faith Millennials!